Gumball Grenade Online Shop

Sunday, February 10, 2008

Illustration Friday, Choose

I’m not sure if most artists already have a final piece that they are able to post for IF or if they create it as soon as they know the topic. I know I’ve done both and there are advantages to both ways. For this weeks topic c, I didn't really have anything that fit. So I sketched out a couple of ideas. The first one, “Which Dress?”, seemed to be a fairly obvious and perhaps cliché depiction, but I couldn’t help myself. It’s a classic theme!

I swear on my life that little children sometimes get up super early and get dressed before anyone is aware! I know I did and still do! The color scheme definitely needs some work but I just love the idea of it. Making the choice of good/bad, nice/naughty, sweet/mischievous, rule follower/rebel. I won’t say which side she will choose. You decide for yourself!





This second painting is a work in progress. In the end I’d like it to be a 3 dimensional art piece/paper sculpture of some kind. Although I like the way it turned out as is, I just have this vision of a 3-D piece and am exploring how to make it a dimensional piece. I’ve sculpted some pieces in paper clay, but never done any “paper engineering or sculpture with a flat piece of paper.” It’s a bit intimidating but my interest is always piqued by a challenge. So my starting point on this project is simply to draw/paint it out. I am just always most comfortable when I give it the watercolor test, even when I know the end result will be digital or other. Anyway, a title….hmmm… well it depicts two very close souls selecting their perfect wishing star. You know you have to choose the right one for the wish to come true, so we’ll keep it simple and for now title it “The Wishing Star.” In the end I have to select "The Wishing Star" as my submisison.




8 comments:

Anonymous said...

love the sky on the second piece, it looks so comforting! very nice! i would pick the red dress!

a : )

Raven said...

Wow...two gorgeous new pieces! I can totally relate to both of them...angel/devil and soul mates.
*sigh*

I love your work...can't wait to see them finished! :)

xxx
Raven

studio lolo said...

sweet, both of them!

Bee said...

Love the gentle scene and colours of The Wishing Star and it's great as it is.

NANCY LEFKO said...

both lovely pieces....I love the little girl's stockings :) maybe they go best with a devilish sort of dress

Colorfuldayz said...

Love both pieces, but the wishing star one just touches my heart. The color of the sky is beautiful.

Fourborne said...

I like the idea of the dresses illo. Very cute.

Curious Art said...

A neat twist on the dress concept! And then there's always mix 'n' match...